Summertime in Fort Lauderdale…the .travel Team’s Top 10
With summertime approaching and gas prices skyrocketing, the .travel team is thinking of activities to do that are close to home. Fort Lauderdale offers many fun activities for any individual or family looking for a break from everyday stresses. Here are the .travel team’s top 10 activities to do while living or visiting Fort Lauderdale;
10) Jaxson’s Ice Cream Parlor – Ranked among the top 5 ice cream places in the United States by NBC’s Today Show, Jaxson’s is a South Florida Trademark. Make sure to bring your appetite because this is not your local Dairy Queen.
9) Las Olas Boulevard – With many boutiques and eateries, Las Olas is a hotspot among the South Florida faithful. From the food at Big City Grille to the atmospheres at Mango’s and Riley McDermott’s there is something for everyone. After dinner, you can go to one of the many boutiques that line the street and find just what you are looking for.
8) The Galleria Mall – Located on Sunrise Blvd right near the beach it is one of the classiest and oldest malls in South Florida, the Galleria offers hundreds of stores that will fit your every need. Once you finish shopping you can complete your experience at one of the many upscale restaurants it offers like Seasons 52 or The Capital Grille.
7) The Swimming Hall of Fame – A Fort Lauderdale landmark since the early 1900’s, the Swimming Hall of Fame is the most storied swimming pool in the world hosting more national meets and Olympic swimmers than any other. The museum is filled with centuries of history and offers one of the largest Olympic Medal collections in the world. One thing to remember about this place is, don’t forget your suit!
6) The Swap Shop – The largest flea market in the world, the Swap Shop features the world’s largest drive in Movie Theater and thousands of vendor shops where you can buy anything from diamond jewelry to car parts. There are no set prices here, as you use your negotiation skills to haggle with sellers.
5) The Stranahan House – Built in 1902, the Stranahan House was home to Fort Lauderdale’s first white settler and served as a trading post with the Native Americans and a travelers lodge. Daily tours are offered that allow you to rewind back to Fort Lauderdale’s early days before all of the hustle and bustle of city life.
4) The Museum of Discovery & Science and IMAX Theater – See sharks and the largest living Atlantic coral reef in captivity, hang out with bats, be charmed by a 12-foot snake, alligators, turtles and iguanas. Explore the new 11,000 square foot nature trail and learn about Florida’s astonishing Everglades in the Living in the Everglades exhibit. Discover the new space exhibit, and take a simulated trip to the Moon or Mars. Make sure to bring the whole family for an entire day of excitement.
3) Everglades National Park – This vast swampland is a throwback to the early days of the United States. Preserved and untouched in many places you will find yourself reliving Florida’s rich history. For starters, take an airboat ride with the natives and you will see many different kinds of wildlife such as alligators, snakes, and birds. After that you can always check out the Big Cypress museum where you can view the history of the Native American’s and the Everglades. No matter what type of activity you prefer, the Everglades National Park will have something that suits your needs.
2) Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino – Florida’s largest casino has become the place to be in South Florida. Whether you are looking to play the slot machines, try your luck at poker, or lounge by the pool, the Hard Rock has it all. Nightlife here is always very spirited with many clubs and restaurants to choose from. The Hard Rock also plays host too many great concerts and sporting events.
1) Fort Lauderdale Beach – Fort Lauderdale beach is definitely the top spot to be in the city. With the beautiful sandy beaches and the great weather year round the beach gives you a great escape to unwind and relax. Bring your sunscreen because the sun is always out and the temperature is always up!
Let us know what you are doing for your summertime fun!!!
Also, if you plan on coming to Fort Lauderdale or have visited us before….let us know if we missed something!!!!