Top Ten Must Sees for San Jose, Costa Rica
In anticipation of travels to San Jose for EXPOTUR, we did some investigating as what to do while in San Jose. If you are going to EXPOTUR or just going to Costa Rica for well deserved R and R, enjoy the Top Ten Must Sees!
1) Ready for a natural spa? Don’t miss out on seeing Arenal Volcano and enjoy the Tabacon Hot Springs. Arenal is Costa Rica’s most active volcano and naturally heats the thermal hot springs of Tabacon. Although sometimes crowded, you can always find your own private pool for your own piece of paradise. Just outside of San Jose, the drive is worth it with the surrounding area so lush and beautiful.
2) Zip line canopy tours. If you are feeling adventurous, whiz through the trees in Monteverde Cloud Forest. You won’t see much wildlife because the other fun seekers tend to enjoy the exciting ride and create much noise. Who cares! Enjoy the flying! And, make some noise!
3) Nightlife. San Jose is a large city and the nightlife is definitely worth checking out. There is a little bit for everyone’s taste. If you like rock and roll and where the madness is, try El Pueblo. If you want some salsa, you’re in the right place. After 10pm is when the party and dancing get started. Remember just like any large city, international or not, be watchful of your surroundings.
4) Want to know how your daily Starbucks or cup of Joe is made? Tour the plantation at Café Britt and get to sample the coffee liquor. Now, this is a coffee break!
5) Mercado Central. This isn’t your suburban mall. Located in Central San Jose. Experience this open air market where you can buy everything from food, souvenirs, and more.
6) Feelin’ lucky? Gambling is legal in Costa Rica. There are various casinos; however, the most modern and the biggest is near the airport, called Fiesta.
7) La Paz Waterfall Gardens and Poaz Volcano is within one hour from San Jose. Recommendation is to take your time. La Paz Waterfall Gardens is a great place to hike among butterflies, hummingbirds, and beautiful flowers while witnessing five waterfalls. La Paz is the largest of the waterfalls, but Magia Blanca (White Magic) is the most spectacular.
8) Goooooooooool!!! Gooooooooooooool!!! Gooooooooooooooolazo!!! Soccer or futbol is THE sport in Costa Rica. The stadium is 30 minutes from San Jose. Brush up on your soccer knowledge and see what the Ticos are so fanatic about.
9) If you have time to cross to the Pacific side of the country, visit Manuel Antonio National Park. If you are looking to see numerous animals such as spider monkeys, iguanas, three toe sloths, and exotic birds, this National Park is for you. However, you don’t have to give up your tan. The beaches here are said to be some of the best in the country.
10) Also, a day trip away is Tortuguero National Park. It is famous for its solitary beaches where the nesting of gigantic green turtles takes place (July-Sept). Although, we missed the season of the turtles, an expedition through the jungle is said to be some of the most beautiful and exotic in Costa Rica. Enjoy a boat ride through the many channels and arriving to the Caribbean coastline.
That’s it. With 4 days full of meetings, we hope to squeeze in a bit of time to experience the native culture. We look forward to giving you an update on our travels. We will bring back pictures, video, and stories. However, for you globetrotters and Ticos, let us know if we missed a MUST SEE.